[gmx-users] How to make a pdb file for methane pair?

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 22 17:58:48 CEST 2008

xianghong qi wrote:
> Hi, Justin:
> I put a residue name ( ALA) there, but pdb2gmx told me that there is a
> fatal error:
>
> Atom H4 in residue ALA 1 not found in rtp entry with 6 atoms
>              while sorting atoms. Maybe different protonation state.
>              Remove this hydrogen or choose a different protonation state.
>              Option -ignh will ignore all hydrogens in the input.

Right, if it's not alanine, then that won't work.

> If I creat one ( CH4), it said that :
> Residue 'CH4' not found in residue topology database.

Pretty common error; see here:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Errors#Residue_.27XXX.27_not_found_in_residue_topology_database

If the residue/molecule name is not already parameterized and entered into the
.rtp file, you'll have to come up with the topology yourself.  For methane, this
should be quite easy to do by hand.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080