[gmx-users] stochastic dynamics , langevin

Matthew Hoopes mihoopes at ucdavis.edu
Fri Oct 24 00:32:02 CEST 2008

Along these same lines...
(a)is there an thermostat setting in GROMACS that comes close to the DPD
thermostat as described in (T. Soddemann, B. D¨unweg, and K. Kremer.
Dissipative particle dynamics: A useful thermostat for equilibrium and
nonequilibrium molecular dynamics simulations. Phys. Rev. E, 68:046702,
2003.)
(b) if nothing approaches DPD, how would a one go about starting to write a
new thermostat in GROMACS?

-Matt

Matthew Hoopes
Biophysics Graduate Group
University of California, Davis

mihoopes at ucdavis.edu
530-752-6452

Brownina dynamics is a Langevin equation for the coordinates (no inertia).
Stochastic dynamics is a Langevin equation for the velocities (with
inertia).

Everything depends on what you want to do, which you do not tell in detail.
If you want to leave out the solvent, but you want to simulate a system in
solvent, SD is not going to help you, since there is no implicit solvent
potential, so your potential and therefore your sampling is nonsense.

tau_t has no effect on the distribution, only on the dynamics. If you want
the correct dynamics, you will have fit tau_t to reproduce some kinetic
quantity that you are interested in. For different quantities tau_t can be
different.

Berk