[gmx-users] Adding Na ions to DPPG

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 27 15:21:55 CET 2008

Peyman Yamin wrote:
> On Monday 27 October 2008 15:07, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>> Peyman Yamin wrote:
>>> On Monday 27 October 2008 14:03, Justin A. Lemkul wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually I'm doing a funny mistake telling I should replace an O with an
>>> Na! (probably because of high adrenaline level in my blood for the
>>> deadline is near!) I should just put one Na beside the O I have! I simply
>>> have a PO4 where one O has no H and thus is negative. an Na+ should
>>> accompany this O.
>> Well that makes more sense.  I'm assuming you have a DPPG bilayer with
>> solvent? Or are you simulating a single DPPG in vacuo?  If it's a bilayer
>> in solution, just use genion; you can even specify exactly how many Na+ you
>> want using -np.
>>
>> If the topology organization is confusing you, refer to Chapter 5 of the
>> manual. If you make a .top for DPPG, you can specify:
>>
>> [ molecules ]
>> DPPG	x
>> NA+	1 (or whatever)
>>
>> after including the appropriate force field call and ions.itp; the
>> parameters for all atom types are taken from these files.
>
> Well this looks great!
> I simulate one single DPPG in solvent. and you know, this Na+ is not in
> solvent but a part of DPPG. So you mean I just make a DPPG with an O which
> has no H so is minus and then use genion to add Na? will it place the Na
> aroung O hopefully? I think if I put no H arounf O the prodrg will force me
> to have it! so I should delete it and replace it with Na? or I should never
> use the word "replace" at all???

Well, the Na+ may be associated with DPPG electrostatically, but they are still
distinct chemical entities.  You can have a DPPG that has a net -1 charge;
certainly all chemical species are not net neutral!  Indeed, genion will place
Na+ in whatever solvent you choose, but may not necessarily be bound to DPPG.
Some simulation may show the association, however.

And no, don't replace any part of your DPPG.  Because then you don't really have
DPPG any more do you?

-Justin

> Thanks again ;)
> Peyman