[gmx-users] 4fs timestep in gromacs 4.0

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 30 17:38:31 CET 2008

Thanks Berk,

My current application is for replica exchange, from which I can not
extract any dynamic information regardless of heavy hydrogens.

I was under the impression that, when including a protein in the system,
one would generally desire -vsite to apply to everything except "water
and in hydroxyl, sulfhydryl or amine groups", which would utilize heavy
hydrogens. This is based on v4 of the manual, section 6.5, page 125:

"For the hydrogens in water and in hydroxyl, sulfhydryl or amine groups,
no degrees of freedom can be removed, because rotational freedom should
be preserved. The only other option available to slow down these
motions, is to increase the mass of the hydrogen atoms at the expense of
the mass of the connected heavy atom."

So, would I then use

dt = 0.004
constraints =  all-bonds
constraint_algorithm =  lincs
lincs-iter =  1
lincs-order =  6

after pdb2gmx -vsite -heavyh

or would this make all of my hydrogens heavy, even the ones that are
already handled by -vsite?

Thanks,
Chris.