[gmx-users] pull_pbcatom1 and pull code in gromacs 4

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 30 18:16:56 CET 2008

Hello,

The pull-code .mdp option pull_pbcatom1 is defined in the online manual as:

"The reference atom for the treatment of periodic boundary conditions
For determining the COM, all atoms are put at their periodic image which
is closest to pull_pbcatom1. A value of 0 means that the middle atom
(number wise) is used."

I suppose that this is necessary since mdrun now writes broken
molecules. However, this is suboptimal for replica exchange umbrella
sampling (pull = umbrella, pull_geometry = distance) in which one does
not necessarily want to utilize different periodic images of pull_group0
and pull_group1.

a) Perhaps I don't understand. Is it possible that although a particular
image of each pulled group is chosen, the pulling is actually still done
along the vector between the closest two images?

b) If not, is there a simple code modification to utilize a pbc=nojump
type definition here during dynamics?

Thanks,
Chris.