[gmx-users] optimizing the mailing list

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Sep 8 18:50:42 CEST 2008

I suggest that we consider ways in which the mailing list can be
optimized. My initial thought is to allow submitters to flag messages
as belonging to some particular topic(s).

e.g.
"program crash"
"force fields"
"protein"
"free energy"
"coarse graining"
"lipids and detergents"
"unknown"
etc.

Since the submission is by regular email and hence there is no
possibility of introducing a radio box with topic options, this could
be implemented by allowing any user to define the topic to which a
particular message belongs. Ideally, the submitter would go to the
website after submission and set the topic of their own submission.

If the archives then allowed a user to view only a particular topic,
then this would offer an alternative to the search tool, and also a
link to such a topical list could be posted in the relevant pages on
the wiki.

I realize that the actual coding of such an interface may not be
available at this time. But I suspect that somebody on this list knows
some type of useful optimizations that are possible at this time.

Chris.