[gmx-users] genion problem with large systems

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Sep 9 15:36:34 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I'm experiencing a strange problem with genion that I have never seen before.  I
am preparing some membrane systems, many of which involve a large number of
charged lipids (several hundred).  When using lipids with PC headgroups (no net
charge), the following works fine:

genion -s ions.tpr -o system_solv_ions.gro -pname NA+ -nname CL- -neutral -conc 0.15

The only charged species is the embedded protein (-3 net charge).  However, if I
process a system containing, for example, 512 POPG lipids, genion (with the same
command given above), always leaves the system with a net +2 charge.  Even if I
change -rmin (down to 0.1) or -seed, I get the same result, always a net +2.
Obviously, I can fix this with another round of genion, but I was curious to see
if there was some reason genion fails with the above command for systems with
large numbers of charged species.  I am using GMX 3.3.3.

Thanks for your attention.

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080