[gmx-users] Extending a run for different number of nodes

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Sep 14 13:05:28 CEST 2008

DimitryASuplatov wrote:
> Hello,
> I have completed a 10ns run. Now I want to extend it to 20ns. The
> problem is that the initial tpr was compiled for 8 processors and now
> I have only 4 cores.
> What I tried to do is used tpbconv to make a 10ns extended tpr, then
> used an exactly the same mdp file to grompp it all together with -np 4
> to a new tpr file.

What do you mean "grompp it all together?"  It sounds like you are trying to use
both tpbconv and grompp for some reason.  The only way to change the number of
processors is to use grompp, not tpbconv, providing it your .trr and .edr files
with the -t and -e flags.

> The problem is that at the beginning of the trajectory the structure
> is undergoing a structural change with 0.12 nm from the initial
> structure. That means that the structure is actually relaxed and that
> is not something I want to see.

How do you know this is not the normal behavior?

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080