[gmx-users] simulation in vacuum

Xavier Periole X.Periole at rug.nl
Wed Sep 17 22:17:29 CEST 2008

David is right! There are no FF that has been parametrized for vaccum
simulations and the best you can do is using a classical FF and neutralize
charges to avoid collapses ...

be aware of what you do ...

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 19:13:33 +0200
  David van der Spoel <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se> wrote:

>>>simulate

>> That would be the right choice for the GROMOS43 ff series.
> AFAIK the only difference between vacuum force field and normal force field
>in GROMOS is the protonation state of the side-chains (please check that this
>is still correct in the current force fields). For vacuum simulations of
>relatively small proteins I would recommend using no cut-off at all. Since
>there is no direct experimental information about protein structure in
>vacuum, there is no reason to use the solution values of the cut-offs.
>Without the shielding of the water everything is different. Another
>interesting problem is to determine which residues to protonate in the gas
>phase, see e.g. Patriksson et al. Biochemistry  46 pp. 933-945 (2007)
>http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?bi061182y/B6CC.

>>>1.4
>>>
>> Never believe what is written in a manual :))
>> It is always better to keep the values that are used for parameterization
>> (the one I gave you) when using a force field. The idea that bigger = better
>> does not work ... you change the balance of forces and thus the properties
>> of the force field.

>> Any paper from van Gunsteren group or Alan Mark groujp (GROMOS developers)
>> would describe the simulation setup: no need of the manual for this.

>>><mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>> I looked in some older papers but found no values for epsilon_r and _rf.
>> From older posts of this mailing list I got the impression that
>> epsilon_r = 1 and epsilon_rf the value of the relative permitivity of
>> the medium. In the case of a simulation in vacuum epsilon_rf would be
>> also 1 and then I have no correction from the reaction field, also
>> grompp tells me that epsilon_r = epsilon_rf would be meaningless with a
>> reaction field. So I'm puzzeld.
>> If both epsilon values have the same value, is it then equal to normal
>> cut-offs (type = cut-off)?
>> Sorry for the many questions.
>> Thomas

> Molec. Biophys. group, Dept. of Cell & Molec. Biol., Uppsala University.
> Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205. Fax: +4618511755.
> spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://folding.bmc.uu.se
>or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

XAvier Periole - PhD

Molecular Dynamics Group / NMR and Computation
University of Groningen
The Netherlands