[gmx-users] Leaflet of Bilayer

Nicolas Sapay nsapay at ucalgary.ca
Fri Sep 19 17:23:56 CEST 2008

Justin A. Lemkul wrote:

> minnale wrote:
>>

>> Hi Jochen thanks for your reply
>> I have gone through this recent mail
>> http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2008-September/036508.html
>> more over if I use genconf command like this
>> genconf -f .gro -o out -nbox 2 1 1 -dist 0 0 0 its adding 128 in
>> eachleaflet I dont wany that many popc molecules.
>>
>> 1.Is it wrong if I increase the popc molecules by using genbox?
>
> It is best to use genconf, because then the periodic images of the
> unit cell remain intact, that is, since you're using a
> pre-equilibrated bilayer, it's better to not snip chunks out of it.
> You can deal with that by sufficient equilibration, however.
>
> It is also easier to use genconf, because you then know exactly how
> many lipids you are dealing with (in regards to your previous
> message).  You could probably write some script to tell you which
> lipid is in a given leaflet based on whether a certain atom (i.e., P8
> or something else) is above or below the center of the bilayer.
In case you use VMD, you can get the number of phospholipid per leaflet
with the following command:

    [atomselect top "name P8 and z>0"] num

This will give you the number of PC in the upper leaflet, assuming 1)
the phosphorus atom is named P8 and 2) the bilayer is center on 0.0
along the z axis.

Nicolas