[gmx-users] Announcing: Gromacs 4.0, release candidate 1

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Mon Sep 22 16:43:00 CEST 2008

Hi,

One extra comment: By default, checkpointing will result in separate
output files to avoid filling up your disk,  or just in case something
horrible happens just when we are about to resume the simulation.
There are also some old strange versions of the GPFS file system where
append operations are not allowed (no idea what happens if we were to
try it anyway).

However...  it IS possible to have Gromacs 4 automatically checkpoint
and just append to the previous output files if you (think you) know
what you're doing. We haven't experienced any bugs with this yet, but
this is one of the things we'd like you to test!

So, to enable all this stuff, simply execute mdrun e.g. as:

mdrun -v -deffnm test -cpi test -append

* The -cpi option will tell mdrun to look for the checkpoint file (the
first time when we don't have it, you'll just get a normal run)
* The -append option will tell mdrun to append to the previous output
files.

Thus: the command line should preferrably be identical in all runs.
This far we've only tested it when we're nice and don't move files,
but feel free to stress-test it and report bugs to us. Don't complain
if your trajectories are eaten after you've moved them in the middle
of a simulation, though ;-)

Cheers,

Erik