[gmx-users] Restarting problem of tpbconv

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Sep 27 17:12:09 CEST 2008

minnale wrote:

> Hi all
> My system was crashed inbetween simulation, so restarted the run by
> using tpbconv command
> tpbconv -f popc.trr -e popc.edr -s popc.tpr -o popc_restart -time 2235.2
> -until 3000 it showing
>
> Last frame read 6173
> WARNING: Incomplete frame: nr  6174 time 2234.600

> Program tpbconv, VERSION 3.3.1
> Source code file: enxio.c, line: 401
>
> Fatal error:
> Could not find frame with time 2235.200195 in 'popc.edr'
>
> when I view the popc.edr file by using gmxcheck it showing
>
> Opened 3nspop128new.edr as single precision energy file
> frame: 500000 (index      0), t:  1000.000
> Reading frame  6000 time 2200.000
> Last frame read 6173
> WARNING: Incomplete frame: nr  6174 time 2234.600
>
> Found 6173 frames with a timestep of 0.2 ps.
>
> its may be due in md.mdp file I am using velocites = no (I am doubting
> because read doing restarts webpage and tpbconv -h command I understood
> "Note that a frame with coordinates and velocities is needed, which
> means that when you never write velocities, you can not use tpbconv and
> you have to start the run again from the beginning"

Use tpbconv -time and specify a frame that actually exists.

Note that gen_vel = no is completely separate from nstvout = 0.  If you use
gen_vel = no, it implies that the simulation is continuing from a previous run.
  If you use nstvout = 0, you are never saving velocities, and thus tpbconv will
not work.

-Justin

> Could give me some suggestion how can I restart the crashed simulation?
>
> Thanks alot for any suggestion.
>

> Rediff Shopping
> <http://adworks.rediff.com/cgi-bin/AdWorks/click.cgi/www.rediff.com/signature-default.htm/1050715198@Middle5/2206641_2199021/2201651/1?PARTNER=3&OAS_QUERY=null>

Justin A. Lemkul