[gmx-users] OPLS-AA forcefield parameters

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Apr 4 20:29:36 CEST 2009

Jacob Harvey wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I am trying to use the OPLS-AA force field to model some imidazole
> containing compounds. I've noticed that imidazole units are referenced
> in the ffoplsaa.atp file as the following:
>
> opls_557   14.00670  ; N1  in imidazole
>  opls_558   12.01100  ; C2  in imidazole
>  opls_559   14.00670  ; N3  in imidazole
>  opls_560   12.01100  ; C4  in imidazole
>  opls_561   12.01100  ; C5  in imidazole
>  opls_562    1.00800  ; H1  in imidazole
>  opls_563    1.00800  ; H2  in imidazole
>  opls_564    1.00800  ; H4  in imidazole
>  opls_565    1.00800  ; H5  in imidazole
>
> But there are no parameters for these atoms in the ffoplsaa.rtp file.
> Does anyone know how I can go about naming these atoms in my pdb file?
> Thank you in advance.

Not every compound is present in a .rtp file.  Check out its contents and you'll
see what it has - pretty much just amino acids.  The charges on each atom are
not specific to an atom type, they are specific to a chemical species for which
the parameterization scheme has been conducted.  Lennard-Jones parameters are
specified in ffoplsaanb.itp.

I suggest a thorough read of Chapter 5 of the manual to understand the contents
of these database-type files, and how they are used in assembling a topology.

-Justin

> Jacob Harvey

> Jacob Harvey
>
> Graduate Student