[gmx-users] Pressure Coupling Problem

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 8 19:44:53 CEST 2009

Joe Joe wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> When I create the topology for the 4fs timestep I use pdb2gmx -vsite h.
> I set up the correct constraints. I've tested it and it conserves energy
> in NVE. I run all he sims with constraints=all-bonds. I am now running a
> single water box (800 water molecules) with 1s time steps and the volume
> keeps blowing up.

In addition to what Chris has been saying about constraints, consider your
pressure coupling settings themselves

Pcoupl                   = Berendsen
Pcoupltype               = Isotropic
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
tau_p                    = 10
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.01325

A 10-ps relaxation time for a system that is not necessarily well-equilibrated
is too weak, I think.  Try 1.0 - 2.0 ps for tau_p.  If your system is expanding
rapidly in as little as 5 ps, I would think you lack appropriate pressure
regulation.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant