[gmx-users] shell molecular dynamics

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Apr 13 20:34:14 CEST 2009

Shuangxing Dai wrote:
> Thank you for help. The harmonic potential between core and shell is
> attractive. The charges they have are opposite, this means that there
> will only be attractive force between them. My result also show that
> they nearly overlap. Is this reasonable and shell model correctly used?
> If not, where is the problem.
This is fine. The shell interacts with other molecules. In the SW paper
we have computed the distribution of dipole moments in the liquid phase,
and the average dipole is 2.7 D, compared to 1.85 in the gas phase.
Hence the shell particle moves sufficiently far away from the core to
get effective polarization.

> Shuangxing Dai
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David van der Spoel"
> <spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se>