[gmx-users] Shift Electrostatic Summation

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Wed Apr 15 06:21:08 CEST 2009

Shuangxing Dai wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Abraham" <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>

You can use a user potential if the dependence of the force and/or
potential on r and N is sufficiently separable. The number of neighbours
is known inside the inner nonbonded loops, because they're looping over
the neighbours of each particle. So you merely do a table lookup before
or after some function of N is applied to some function of r. Thus the
only work you'd need to do is to construct the correct form of tables,
and add in the arithmetic concerning N.

Per my advice in that previous thread, you should read and understand
the code for the nonbonded kernel for a straight cutoff, compare that
with non-table-lookup Ewald, and compare that with table-lookup Ewald.
Also heed the advice Berk gave you.

You've still never explained why N in the formula in that previous
thread is the number of neighbours of a given particle, not the number
of particles in the system - but that's your problem.