[gmx-users] Temperature in Brownian Dynamics simulation

Suman Chakrabarty suman at sscu.iisc.ernet.in
Fri Apr 17 13:25:38 CEST 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 5:32 AM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> Suman Chakrabarty wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> it was pointed out before that for Brownian Dynamics simulation, the
>> temperature calculated by g_energy does not match with the ref_t in
>> parameter file and it is almost double:
>> http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2007-June/028321.html ...
>> but unfortunately I find no follow-up to that post.
>>
>> So I want to ask the question again here. I am doing Brownian Dynamics
>> simulation of a single polymer chain consisting of 100 atoms. While I
>> have set 300K as my simulation temperature,
>
> I don't think you have. You've generated velocities at that temperature, but
> you're not thermostatting to that temperature, since you have "Tcoupl = no"

Are you sure? The manual says for stochastic dynamics "the parameter
tcoupl is ignored" (manual for ver. 4, page 141, section 7.3.3). I
would guess the same would be true for bd as well. For both sd and bd
there should be a different Langevin thermostat applicable, where the
temperature will be incorporated through the Gaussian distributed
random force term.

So I shall still need further clarification regarding this. Do I
really need to mention a general MD thermostat? Won't it be ignored as
mentioned for sd? If not, which thermostat is best for doing bd
simulations?

Regards,
Suman.

--