[gmx-users] HF/6-31G** ESP derived charges to replace PRODRG assigned ones

Ran Friedman, Biochemisches Inst. r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch
Sun Apr 19 09:38:01 CEST 2009

Dear Josmar,

As for the GROMOS FF, I've included a link to the paper describing the most
recent (AFAIK) version of the FF in one of the recent mailing list massages.

Good luck,
Ran

On Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:56:11 -0400
  "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Josmar R. da Rocha wrote:
>> Dear Ran,
>>
>> Thanks for answering and sorry to take so long to reply. After your
>> response I went seach for more information about that. What I read here
>> in the list is that some people uses antechamber to generate am1-bcc
>> charges (or RESP charges using Gaussian program) and convert the output
>> files to a .top file (using the amb2gmx.pl script) that can be used in
>> gromacs, however, nobody says the kind of ff they intend to use that
>> charges with. Do these type of charges can also be used with Gromos96 ff
>> ( 43a1)? Thanks in advance!
>>

> The amb2gmx was created to handle AMBER-to-GROMACS conversion.  It is
>unlikely that it would be useful for ffG43a1.  Since 43a1 is a united-atom
>force field, you have to compensate for the fact that nonpolar hydrogen
>atoms are absent. Furthermore, quantum charge calculation is not a
>necessary component of Gromos96 parameter derivation.  See, for example:
>
> http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/Parameterization
>
> -Justin
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Josmar Rocha
>>

>> --- Em *sex, 27/3/09, Ran Friedman, Biochemisches Inst.
>> /<r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch>/* escreveu:
>>
>>     De: Ran Friedman, Biochemisches Inst. <r.friedman at bioc.uzh.ch>
>>     Assunto: Re: [gmx-users] HF/6-31G** ESP derived charges to replace
>>     PRODRG assigned ones
>>     Para: bije_br at yahoo.com.br, "Discussion list for GROMACS users"
>>     <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>>     Data: Sexta-feira, 27 de Março de 2009, 17:35
>>
>>     Dear Josmar,
>>
>>     You haven't written which force field you plan to use. For OPLS and
>>AMBER
>>     QM-based optimisation should be fine. In Gromos, the FF was developed
>>with the
>>     aim of reproducing experimental results and I'm not sure if you can
>>find a
>>     better solution than examining other residues with the same chemical
>>moieties or
>>     use the same approach as reported in the relevant manuscripts. Some
>>software
>>     packages can also be used - these are mostly proprietary and not so
>>easy to use.
>>
>>     Once you derive the parameters, it's a good idea to make some test
>>runs of
>>     the ligands and see if they behave as expected before you actually run
>>     simulation with the
>>      protein. For example, if a conjugate ring system isn't
>>     planar something may be wrong in the setting.
>>
>>     There's no easy solution - this is why it's considered an advanced
>>     topic. It is, however, very important. I've encountered a ligand that
>>leaves
>>     its binding site during a simulation due to wrong parameters (in this
>>case, the
>>     protonation of a protein side chain - FEBS  581, Pages 4120-4124,
>>2007).

> [...]

Ran Friedman
Postdoctoral Fellow
Computational Structural Biology Group (A. Caflisch)
Institute of Biochemistry
University of Zurich
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zurich, Switzerland