[gmx-users] about the bond connection between different groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Apr 22 22:35:51 CEST 2009

He, Yang wrote:
> Hi Tsjerk,
>
> Thank you very much for your introduction about how to merge two
> moleculetypes. I just follow your instructions as listed below;
>
> I have two moleculetypes named DNA and ICE. This is what I include in
> topology file:
>

> #include "dna.itp" #include "ICE.itp"

Depending on the contents of these two molecules, they may not be necessary.
The merged topology, in theory, is a combination of these two moleculetype
definitions.

> [ moleculetype ]
>
> ; molname            cylind
>
> DNA+ICE              1
>
> [ atoms ] ;   nr  type resnr   res  atom  cgnr    charge      mass 1    bA
> 1   DNA    bA     1      0     178.0 ...
>
> 20    lA     1   ICE    lA    20      0     134.0
>
> [ angles ] ... [ dihedrals ] ... [ system ] ; Name CGMD
>
> [ molecules ] ; Compound      #mols DNA+ICE         1
>
> I have 19 atoms in DNA and only one atom in ICE.
>
> Also, I have consider adding the angles and dihedrals involved in the
> interaction. Then, I also include individual itp file for the DNA and ICE
> ,respectively .
>
> In addition , I want to freeze the atom in ICE and that is what I include in
> .mdp file :
>
> energygrp_excl          = ICE ICE
>
> ;       Non-equilibrium MD ; freezegrps              =ICE freezedim
> = Y Y Y
>
> [ system ] ; Name CGMD
>
> [ molecules ] ; Compound      #mols DNA+ICE         1
>
> But when I run this, it shows that: "Group ICE not found in indexfile. Maybe
> you have non-default goups in your mdp file, while not using the '-n' option
> of grompp. In that case use the '-n' option."
>
> Can you tell me what is the problem? Thank you for your suggestions.

You have defined a molecule called "DNA+ICE" so you need to use an index group
to decompose its components into those that you wish to use.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar