[gmx-users] problem in topology file of protein-lipid bilayer system for grompp

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 23 08:24:39 CEST 2009

nitu sharma wrote:
> Dear Justin
>
>                             I am doing simulation of membrane protein .I
> follow your tutorial for that I think its perfect for that. But I am
> getting problem in doing inflategro step, I alredy discuss this problem
> with you but now I am starting everything fresh  I have completed upto
> concatanation of protein with lipid bilayer after that for packing of
> lipid around protein I  am using inflategro script from teleman website
> . Problem came in second step of inflategro i.e for energy minimisation
> for this I need topology file of "protein-lipid system".
> I am giving you information in detail i.e -
> for topology file I have made changes in topol.top file which I got from
> pdb2gmx command in first step for protein processing ,the topol .top
> file is like  this-
> File 'topol.top' was generated
> ;       By user: nitu (504)
> ;       On host: localhost.localdomain
> ;       At date: Thu Apr 16 23:20:48 2009
> ;
> ;       This is your topology file
> ;       Grunge ROck MAChoS
> ;
> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "ffG53a6.itp"
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "topol_A.itp"
> #include "topol_B.itp"
>
> ; Include water topology
> #include "spc.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES_WATER
> ; Position restraint for each water oxygen
> [ position_restraints ]
> ;  i funct       fcx        fcy        fcz
>    1    1       1000       1000       1000
> #endif
>
> ; Include generic topology for ions
> #include "ions.itp"
>
> [ system ]
> ; Name
> Grunge ROck MAChoS
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> Protein_A           1
> Protein_B           1
> **********
> And the change topology file is like this-
>
> ; Include forcefield parameters
> #include "ffG53a6_lipid.itp"
>
> ; Include chain topologies
> #include "topol_A.itp"
> #include "topol_B.itp"
>
> #ifdef POSRES
> #include "posre_A.itp"
> #include "posre_B.itp"
> #endif

I think you've been told before that this is garbage.
[position_restraints] directives are components of a [moleculetype], and
so must come before the [moleculetype] of a subsequent molecule. Your
use of the last four #include preprocessing commands violates this. You
should make two #ifdef POSRES sections appropriately.

> ; Include DMPC chain topology
> #include "dmpc.itp"
>

> [ system ]
> ; Name
> Protein in DMPC bilayer
>
> [ molecules ]
> ; Compound        #mols
> Protein_A           1
> Protein_B           1
> DMPC               128
>
> but when I gave this topology file to grompp it shws error-
> no. of coordinates in coordinate file doesn,t mach the topology file .

OK, so do the arithmetic and see what the problem is.

> Can you suggest me something for making topology file for protein-lipid
> bilayer system. Is there any other method for making topology file ,I
> have read in mannual chapter 5 but there is also mentioned same method.
> If possible please help me becoz without solving this problem I can't
> move for furthur processing .
>
> * My gro file of protein shows 9902 atoms .
> As you ask in previous mail is .itp file have [ molecules ] section the
> answer is the .itp file haven't molecules section it have [molecule type
> ] section can it also create problem for topology file working.

So you have 9902 atoms in your coordinate file. How many atoms are in
protein A, protein B and the 128 copies of DMPC *according to their
[moleculetype] definitions*?