[gmx-users] what is meaning of vol 0.95 imb F 1%?

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Apr 30 03:33:24 CEST 2009

wuxiao wrote:
> Dear gmx users,
>   If -v was passed on to mdrun, such rows  one by one would be printed
> continuously as follows:
> vol 0.95 imb F 1% step 1000, will finish Thu Apr 30 15:39:33
>   Obviously, the words "step 1000, will finish Thu Apr 30 15:39:33" mean
> that the current running step is 1000, the whole run will finish at
> 15:39:33, on Thuseday, April 30th. But what it is meant by "vol 0.95 imb
> F 1%"? Thank you very much for any reply.

This is the verbose output produced under dynamic load balancing and
domain decomposition. A quick look at the code didn't make it clear what
"vol" means (it's some kind of DD workload measure, though), and "imb F"
is the load imbalance between different processors in calculating the
forces. I guess that if the two values are reasonably close to 1 and 0%
respectively, then things are fine.