[gmx-users] force evaluation

Florian Dommert dommert at fias.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue Jan 6 16:33:40 CET 2009

* Berk Hess <gmx3 at hotmail.com> [2009-01-06 15:39:41 +0100]:

>Hi,
>
>The error should not be in the tables, if you are using Gromacs 4.
>We made sure that the accuracy of the tabulation and interpolation
>is nearly the full precision (both in single and double precision).
>
>For these kind of testing purposes you should be using double precision
>anyhow, which gives you far more accuracy than 10^-4.

Hello,

  of course Gromacs 4 compiled with double precision is used and I even
  get a better agreement with my reference force, if the coulomb forces
  are tabulated.

  However where could the difference arise ?

  I also tried a version without the software implementation of the invsqrt but  it
  doesnt change. If our results would not conincide with the error
  estimate of Perram and Kolafa, I would say we have a bug in our code.
  However the estimate is perfect and that for all cases:
   * Ewald Sum (implemented in Gromacs)
   * sPME with analytical differentiation (implemented in Gromacs)
   * sPME with ik-differentiation

Cheers,

Flo

EMail: dommert at fias.uni-frankfurt.de