[gmx-users] Problem with DMSO as solvent

Suman Chakrabarty suman at sscu.iisc.ernet.in
Thu Jan 8 01:12:45 CET 2009

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 4:42 AM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Suman Chakrabarty wrote:

>>> I think the problem is mixing of force fields.  The dmso.itp included in
>>> /share/top is based on ffgmx.  Are you using ffgmx?  If so, don't.  If
>>> you
>>> are using another force field, then you will need to completely update
>>> dmso.itp to correspond to the new parameters.  Excellent DMSO parameters
>>> exist under Gromos96 53a6, IIRC.
>>>
>>> The mass column is needed, but is not the cause of your specific problem.
>>

>> Thanks for your response Justin. I am using the GROMOS96 43a2 force
>> field. I shall try to modify the dmso.itp and dmso.gro accordingly and
>> see what happens.
>>

> If you can find 43a2 parameters for DMSO, sure.  But the best model so far
> (that I know of) is:
>
> dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp035034i

Thank you very much for this reference. I'll take it up right away.

But regarding 43a2 force field, I found the following entry in the
ffG43a2.rtp file. So I guess these are the required parameters for
DMSO. But in any case I'll be using the parameters given in the van
Gunsteren's paper.

[ DMSO ]
 [ atoms ]
SDmso SDMSO     0.13900     0