[gmx-users] Box Exploding Error

VENKATESH HARIHARAN vuh105 at psu.edu
Sun Jan 11 00:36:19 CET 2009

Hello All,

First, for this question I am referring to GROMACS 3.3.3.  I have thoroughly
read the archives for errors on why a simulation box might explode.  My
simulations require that I bring the N and C terminal ends of a ~20 amino acid
peptide as close together as possible.  To do this, I am using the pull code to
freeze the C terminus and pull the N Terminus toward it.  I keep getting the
following error during the simulation:

  Normal
  0

  false
  false
  false

  EN-US
  X-NONE
  X-NONE

  MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

 /* Style Definitions */
 table.MsoNormalTable
	{mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
	mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
	mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
	mso-style-noshow:yes;
	mso-style-priority:99;
	mso-style-qformat:yes;
	mso-style-parent:"";
	mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
	mso-para-margin-top:0in;
	mso-para-margin-right:0in;
	mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
	mso-para-margin-left:0in;
	line-height:115%;
	mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
	font-size:11.0pt;
	font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
	mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
	mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
	mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
	mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
	mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Back Off! I just
backed up md_traj.xtc to ./#md_traj.xtc.1#

Warning: 1-4 interaction between 5 and 10 at distance 1.480 which is larger
than the 1-4 table size 1.000 nm

These are ignored for the rest of the simulation

This usually means your system is exploding,

if not, you should increase table-extension in your mdp file

My question: Is there any way to completely ignore this error, so that the N
Terminus is pulled as close as possible to the C Terminus?  I understand that
the results in the .pdo file of the pull simulation may be unrealistic, but I
simply need to get a peptide structure whose N and C Terminal ends are close
together (within .5 nm).  On a side note, are there any suggestions for
respectable molecular modeling software with which I may be able to BUILD a
circular peptide (i.e. - N and C Terminal ends are brought close together)?
Any help is appreciated.

Venkatesh Hariharan
The Pennsylvania State University
Schreyer Honors College