[gmx-users] Nicelevel default 0 - mdrun_mpi of Gromacs 4.0.2

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 19 19:09:04 CET 2009

Hi,

When running in parallel on a cluster through a queuing system
one usually does not (or can not) see or check the nice level
of the mdrun processes. But the nice level can have a significant
impact on performance, especially when running in parallel,
since all processes have to wait for the slowest one.
Therefore I set the nicelevel to 0 when running in parallel.

Note that if you configure mdrun with --enable_mpi --enable-mpi-environment,
running an MPI mdrun binary without mpirun will still give nice 19.

Berk