[gmx-users] About frozen groups

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Jan 20 13:22:56 CET 2009

Mohammed Kamal wrote:

> Tcoupl                   = berendsen
>
> tau_t                    = 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1
>
> tc_grps                  = protein T27 SOL Cl ; T27 is the ligand

General advice: do not couple solvent and ions separately.  I believe there is a
newer version of the tutorial that fixes this information.  See here:

http://wiki.gromacs.org/index.php/thermostats

> ref_t                    = 300 300 300 300
>
> *energygrps               = protein T27 SOL *
>
> *energygrp_excl           = IRS IRS IRS SOL*
>
> *freezegrps               = IRS*
>
> *freezedim                = Y Y Y*
>
> Pcoupl                   = berendsen
>
> pcoupltype               = isotropic
>
> tau_p                    = 0.5
>
> compressibility          = 4.5e-5
>
> ref_p                    = 1.0
>
> gen_vel                  = yes
>
> gen_temp                 = 300
>
> gen_seed                 = 173529
>

> and when I used the grommp line of
>
> *grompp* -f md.mdp -c 2zd1_eq.gro -p 2zd1.top -n IRS.ndx -o md.tpr
>
> I had (as expected) an error massage states that IRS is not an energy
> group however if I have added IRS as an energy group I had an error that
> some atoms are in multiple energy Mon. groups.

Well, what is IRS?  Is it a protein, another molecule?  You've got very
different groups labeled for energy monitoring and energygrp-excl, so something
needs to be fixed.  Without any clue what exactly you're dealing with, it's hard
to give any useful information.

> *So, my first question is how to deal with that problem for including my
> frozen residues that way?*
>
> * *
>
> 2*.* The second method I think about is to just position-restrained
> these residues where I have created an .itp file for the residues need
> to be fixed (POSRE_IRS.itp) using/ genpr /command. But I don’t know how
> to consider that in the calculations….
>
> *Can I just include this file in the toplogy file (#include
> “POSRE_IRS.itp”) and add the line Define = -DPOSRE_IRS in my .mdp file??*

Look in your protein topology (if you created one with pdb2gmx) to get the
syntax right, because, as written no, your approach will not work.  If you
always #include "POSRE_IRS.itp," then position restraints are always applied.
To make them conditional

#ifdef POSRE_IRS
#include "POSRE_IRS.itp"
#endif

-Justin

> * *
>
> Looking forward for your kind suggestions and comments
>

> Great Thanks
>
> Mohammed

> Download free emoticons today! Holiday cheer from Messenger.
> <http://livelife.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=669758>

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080