[gmx-users] Transition difficulties: version 3.3.3 to 4.0.3 regarding pull_geometry=distance

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Jan 23 20:03:40 CET 2009

Hi Steve,

what I intended to suggest was actually something different (and much easier).

The idea is not that you need some special system to be able to
utilize the pull code, but that the pull code is correct whereas the
g_dist and g_traj programs are not as good at treating pbc in the way
that one desires.

I suggest the following.

1. Take your original system and run the pull code for a very short
simulation. Use the last line of the output to calculate the relevant
displacement

2. Now use trjconv -b -e to get the last frame of the .xtc that
resulted from that short MD run as a .gro file, call it final.gro. I
suspect that your groups are not entirely in the same simulation box
in final.gro.

3. Now make a new .ndx file from that .gro and give it a single
residue that is near your binding pocket, call it R_1

4. Now apply trjconv -center -pbc mol -ur compact while selecting R_1
for centering, call the new .gro file final_center.gro

5. Visualize final_center.gro and ensure that all of your relevant
atoms are in the same image in the way that puts the minimum distance
between them along a path that is entirely contained within the unit
cell. If not, go back to step 3 and try making a group R_2, etc.
until this process works. NOTE: you might think that giving trjconv
-center the relevant groups that you use for pulling will be a good
idea here, but it is not. The problem there is that the atoms may be
"centered" by placing half on the left boundary and half on the right
boundary. I find using one logically selected residue or atom is the
best method here.

6. Assuming that you got what you wanted in step 5, now run g_traj and
g_dist on final_center.gro. In my case, I found that g_traj and g_dist
give the same answer as the pull code output when I am using
final_center.gro, but not always when I am using final.gro.

*** I always laugh when these problems arise because, in an important
sense, the protein *did* jump out of the simulation box... at least as
far as g_traj and g_dist are concerned. This, we must hope, is
correctly treated in the pull code even though it is incorrectly (or
at least unintuitively) treated by g_traj and g_dist.

Chris.