[gmx-users] range of magnitude for force constant

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Jan 28 17:42:54 CET 2009

I see two potential problems that might arise with very large force constants.

1. If you start far from equilibrium your system will most definitely
crash. It appears that this is not going to be an issue for you here
though.

2. The less mass in your groups and the higher the force constant, the
faster the oscillations will become. This may force you to reduce your
timestep in order to obtain a stable system. C-C force constants are
on the order of 3E+05 kJ/mol/nm^2, and are stable with 5fs timesteps
(at least) so I would not be surprised at all if a 1E+06 kj/mol/nm^2
force constant works fine for you if your groups are larger than one
heavy atom. If you are doing position restraints on individual atoms
then you might need to utilize a 1fs timestep if you go as high as
3E+05 kJ/mol/nm^2 due to the hydrogens. This is all just guesswork
though, I do not have any numerical results for you.

Such high force constants have no buisness giving you enough overlap
for doing wham with any reasonable number of separate umbrellas. The
only reason this is going to work for you is that these bilayers are a
little messy and it is difficult to determine exactly where the
bilayer reference position is. Therefore, the fact that your protein
is 2-3A up or down from the center of your restraint does of course
reduce the resolution of your plot, it should not affect the general
magnitudes of the free energy profile and increasing the force
constant may not increase the resolution as much as you expect since
the noise of the bilayer itself not being homogeneous on Z.

Unless you have access to enormous cpu resources, I suggest staying
with 500-1000kj/mol/nm^2 and running for longer time at this reduced
number of windows. Even peptides take a long time to equilibrate in a
bilayer environment.

Chris.