[gmx-users] Question about the dihedrals in top file using OPLS force field in GROMACS

Yanmei Song ysong30 at asu.edu
Thu Jan 29 05:34:34 CET 2009

[ dihedrals ]
; ai  aj  ak  al  fu    c0, c1, m, ...
  1   2   5   6   1    0.0    3.77   3    0.0    3.77   3 ; dih   CAA
 CBF  OAW  CBH
  2   5   6   9   1    0.0    3.77   3    0.0    3.77   3 ; dih   CBF
 OAW  CBH  OAY
  5   6   9  10   1    0.0    3.77   3    0.0    3.77   3 ; dih   OAW
 CBH  OAY  CBJ
  6   9  10  13   1    0.0    3.77   3    0.0    3.77   3 ; dih   CBH
 OAY  CBJ  OBA
  9  10  13  14   1    0.0    3.77   3    0.0    3.77   3 ; dih   OAY
 CBJ  OBA  CBL

Sorry to bother you so much times. Above is the real parameter I used
in my top file which probably specified the dihedrals as periodic
(function 1) . But I also used OPLS force field which should read
different parameters as RB. So when the MD runs, does it just read
this parameters in the periodic dihedrals as a RB parameter? If my top
is in a wrong form, how can md runs well and give a good result?
2009/1/28 Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu>:

> Yanmei Song wrote:
>>
>> What makes me so confused is that I used this top for the MD run using
>> ffoplsaa.itp and the there are no error message. Also I got a good
>> result compared to experiment. Does it mean that what I did is totally
>> wrong with using this top in combination with OPLS?
>>

> Well, the numbers in the .top for the dihedrals were designed to be
> components of a periodic dihedral (function type 1 in the .top), which is
> not of the same form as an R-B dihedral (function type 3).  My guess would
> be that the parameters you have specified are not appropriate for use with
> OPLS.
>
>> Also if I used the atom type in opls_x with the x is less than 135,
>> then it should be OPLS UA force field right? if I want to use OPLS,
>> How can we get the top? Thank you so much for your help!
>>

> I suppose you would have OPLS UA, as far as your atom types are concerned.
>  I don't know for sure, I've never used the UA version of OPLS.  If you want
> the .top for your own molecule, you may have to write it by hand, perhaps
> even using the PRODRG topology as a skeleton (along with a thorough
> understanding of Chapter 5 of the manual, as Mark advised).  Depending on
> the size of your molecule, this manual process may be a chore, so you could
> also consider making an  entry for your molecule within ffoplsaa.rtp.  Make
> a local copy in the working directory to ensure that you don't break
> something by accident!
>
> -Justin

>>> OPLS does use the R-B potential.  It looks like that topology is a PRODRG
>>> product, in which case, no, your topology is not suitable for use with
>>> OPLS.
>>> PRODRG generates Gromos-type topologies.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>>
>>> Justin A. Lemkul
>>> Graduate Research Assistant
>>> Department of Biochemistry
>>> Virginia Tech
>>> Blacksburg, VA
>>> jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080
>>> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin

>>> posting!
>>> Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface
>>> or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
>>> Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php

> Justin A. Lemkul