[gmx-users] TIP4P/TIP4P-Ew bug potentially affecting all calculations done with TIP4P with some (few?) exceptions

David Mobley dmobley at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 16:28:11 CET 2009

All,

I just wanted to pass along the below e-mail, previously sent to the
mailing list, and highlight the potential implications.

If I understand properly, there was a bug in all Gromacs versions
beginning prior to 3.3 (probably not 3.1.4) and through 4.0.3 that
affected the TIP4P and TIP4P-Ew water models, *unless* you were using
separate energy groups for water and the rest of your system. Berk
notes below that the bug "would cause a few tip4p-tip4p charge
interactions to be missing". I want to emphasize that this is
potentially an extremely serious problem.

In my own testing I found that with this bug, densities for TIP4P-Ew
still came out close to the literature values, but it could result in
substantial errors in other properties. For example, in computing
hydration free energies with acetamide, I found my hydration free
energies changed by more than 2 kcal/mol when I changed rcoulomb by
0.1 nm, even when using PME and long-ish real-space cutoffs, which
should not be the case.

Secondarily, I found that my computed hydration free energies with
either set of cutoffs disagreed with the "correct" values (as obtained
by other simulation packages) by 0.7 to 3 kcal/mol depending on my
choice of real-space cutoff. In contrast, with other water models, I
could reproduce the expected values to within my computed
uncertainties (+/-0.05 to 0.1 kcal/mol).

I am still doing some testing, but I anticipate that I will ultimately
have to submit errata for two different papers I've published in which
I used the TIP4P-Ew water model in combination with GROMACS. I urge
you to check your own studies that have used TIP4P/TIP4P-Ew and see if
they are affected.

David Mobley
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemistry