Fwd: [gmx-users] Invalid atom number 6415 in indexfile

Liu Shiyong liushiyong at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 18:03:22 CET 2009

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 6:32 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>> r-l_207655_G53a6.minim_traj.trr -c r-l_207655_G53a6.minimized.pdb -e
>> r-l_207655_G53a6.minim_ener.edr -g r-l_207655_G53a6.emlog.log    >
>> r-l_207655_G53a6.output.mdrun 2>&1
>>
>> Now, I get an minimized structure: r-l_207655_G53a6.minimized.pdb
>>
>> Then , I remove the Hydrogen atom in r-l_207655_G53a6.minimized.pdb,
>> rename as clean2.pdb
>>

> Why are you removing hydrogens?
>

>> *Step 2:*
>> Starting structure:  clean2.pdb
>>
>> I am trying to calculate the energy according to energy groups
>>

>> pdb2gmx   -ff G53a6 -f clean2.pdb -p clean2_0.6.top -i
>> clean2_0.6.posre.itp -o clean2_0.6.gro > clean2_0.6.output.pdb2gmx 2>&1
>>

> This is redundant.  In the first pdb2gmx, you processed your structure with
> the 53a6 parameter set, adding some polar hydrogens and building a topology.
>  Then, you stripped the hydrogens.  Now you are adding them back.  I see no
> point in all of these iterations.
>
>  make_ndx -f clean2.pdb  -o clean2_0.6.ndx < ./make_ndx.input >
>> clean2_0.6.output.make_ndx 2>&1
>>

> Now you're using the original .pdb file (with no hydrogens) to make an
> index group.  *This is where you are probably going wrong* - you are
> carrying out EM steps using a topology that includes H atoms on polar
> groups, but you are constructing index groups that correspond to a structure
> without H.  Therefore, none of the atom numbers will correspond to what you
> think they are (or want them to be).
>
>  em.mdp
>>
>> title               =  clean2_0.6
>> cpp                 =  /usr/bin/cpp
>> integrator          =  cg
>> dt                  =  0.002    ; ps !
>> nsteps              =  1
>> rlist               =  0.55
>> nstlist             =  0
>> vdwtype             =  Cut-off
>> rvdw                =  0.6
>> coulombtype         =  shift
>> epsilon_r           =  20000
>> rcoulomb            =  0.6
>>

> Again, really bizarre parameters for use with Gromos96.
>
>  rcoulomb-switch     =  0.55
>> energy_grps         =  chB chA
>> ;
>> ;       Energy minimizing stuff
>> ;
>> emtol               =  100.0
>> emstep              =  0.01
>>

>> grompp -maxwarn 10 -f em.mdp -c clean2_0.6.gro -n clean2_0.6.ndx -p
>> clean2_0.6.top -o clean2_0.6.input.tpr > clean2_0.6.output.grompp 2>&1
>>
>> Then, I got an error msg:
>>

>> clean2_0.6.output.grompp

>> Program grompp, VERSION 3.3.3
>> Source code file: ../../../../src/kernel/grompp.c, line: 307
>>
>> Fatal error:
>> atoms 4175 and 4183 in charge group 1767 are in different energy groups
>>

> Right, because these two atoms were generated from a non-H structure, but
> you are using the .gro and .top files (with H!) as input into grompp.
>
> Here's what I'd recommend:
>
> 1. Run pdb2gmx and generate your 53a6 topology.
> 2. Make index groups from the .gro file generated by pdb2gmx.

*.gro has no chain id information.
I can not make energy group(based on chain id) from *.gro file generated by
pdb2gmx

> 3. Don't strip H, just to add them back again :)

I have the structure minimized.pdb after EM.

minimized.pdb is output from mdrun with -c option.

I tried to feed this structure into pdb2gmx.
I got an error.

Processing chain 1 'A' (5360 atoms, 535 residues)
There are 803 donors and 760 acceptors
There are 1025 hydrogen bonds
Will use HISB for residue 212
Will use HISB for residue 223
Will use HISB for residue 277
Will use HISB for residue 280
Will use HISB for residue 374
Will use HISB for residue 380
Will use HISB for residue 386
Will use HISB for residue 398
Will use HISB for residue 425
Will use HISB for residue 440

Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 3.3.3
Source code file: ../../../../src/kernel/pdb2gmx.c, line: 421

Fatal error:
Atom HD1 in residue HISB 212 not found in rtp entry with 14 atoms
             while sorting atoms. Maybe different protonation state.
             Remove this hydrogen or choose a different protonation state.
             Option -ignh will ignore all hydrogens in the input.

"You Could Be a Shadow" (The Breeders)

Email: syliu at ku.edu (shiyongliu at ku.edu or liushiyong at ku.edu)