[gmx-users] Installation problem:fftw3f lib. not found.

Florian Dommert dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de
Wed Jul 1 10:41:17 CEST 2009

* Shobhit Kudesia <shobhit.kudesia at gmail.com> [2009-06-30 21:19:47 -0400]:

>Hi,
>
>I installed  fftw as follows (creating single- and double-precision
>versions) :
>
>./configure --enable-threads --enable-float --prefix=/home/kudesias/fftw
>make
>make install
>
>make distclean
>
>./configure --enable-threads --prefix=/home/kudesias/fftw
>make
>make install
>
>I also used
>export CPPFLAGS=-I/home/kudesias/fftw/include
>export LDFLAGS=-L/home/kudesias/fftw/lib ( Initially I used I in place of L
>so I corrected it)
>
>On using the configure script
>
>./configure  --enable-mpi
>
> I  get the following error then
>
>checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
>checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
>checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... no
>checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... 1
>checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
>checking for fftw3.h... configure: error: Cannot find the default external
>FFT library (fftw3).
>
>I will be glad if you can help with this.

I tried your procedure on my computer and the configure script finished
without trouble. Are your sure using fftw**3** ? In case you use fftw2
you have to tell the script.

Another problem can be that you set the enviroment variables in another
shell window as you execute the configure script, because then CPPFLAGS
and LDFLAGS are not present anymore.

To be on the safe side put all in one line:

./configure --prefix=$HOME/gmx4 LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/fftw/lib CPPFLAGS=-I$HOME/fftw/include

This command line should work for you, in case FFTW3 is located as you
mentioned before. So try copy&paste and tell us over the mailing list
what happend.

Flo

EMail: dommert at icp.uni-stuttgart.de