[gmx-users] False C6/C12 parameter for DMSO and chloroform in GROMOS 45a3 force field (ffG45a3)

Markus Tusch mtusch at mail.upb.de
Tue Jul 7 10:41:47 CEST 2009

Hi Roman,

checking the mentioned original publication on GROMOS96 finally
convinced me that you're right.

It even says:
"If another combination rule ... is to be used to obtain C6ij and C12ij
or if these mixed atom type pair parameters are not related to the
single atom type van der Waals parameters ..., the interaction
parameters for the pair of atom types ij must be explicitly given ...In
the GROMOS force field this is the case for the van der Waals parameters
for the solvents chloroform and DMSO."

The origin of the DMSO parameters in ffG43a1 can be found in Liu et al.
"A Force Field for Liquid Dimethyl Sulfoxide and Physical Properties of
Liquid Dimethyl Sulfoxide Calculated Using Molecular Dynamics
Simulations" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 1995, 117, 4363-4366. In this publication
they actually use different combination rules as I already assumed in my
previous mail.

Cheers,
Markus