[gmx-users] Re: Problems with non-bonded interactions using OPLSAA

Mike Wykes mikewykes at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 21:09:37 CEST 2009

Dear all

I have since found the problem. For some reason gen-pairs = yes option
is not working, so my 1-4 interactions were being completely excluded
and not scaled by 0.5 as they should have been. Defining all 1-4 pairs
in a [ pairs ] section in conjunction with nexcl =3 in the topology
solved the problem.

I was not sure whether to use nexcl =2 or nexcl =3 in the case of
scaled 1-4 interactions, but by trial and error I found that one
should use nexcl =3, otherwise you have the full 1-4 interaction + the
scaled one, so in total a scaling of 1.5 instead of 0.5.

Any ideas why gen-pairs = yes option is not working would be much appreciated.

Thanks to those who responded to my first email,

Mike