[gmx-users] params for g_cluster and g_clustsize

Erik Marklund erikm at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 16 22:42:49 CEST 2009

Dmitri Dubov skrev:

> Thanks, David.
>

> Sorry, maybe my questions were too fuzzy.
>

> They concern the definition of cluster in these codes.
>
> 1) When we estimate through single linkage whether the structure
> belongs to the cluster we should find the smallest distance between
> any element of the structure and any element of cluster, then compare
> this distance with the cutoff value. I don't understand how this
> cutoff value may have "root mean square deviation" feature.

The rmsd is given in nm, and if the rmsd falls below the cutoff (also
given in nm, of course) the two frames are part of the same cluster when
single lincage is used for g_cluster.

> 2) To my knowledge the g_clustsize uses the same "single linkage"
> algorithm for cluster construction. If so, there should be the similar
> cut-off parameter. The -cut option looks like this one. But very
> different default values of these parameters (cutoff=0.1 in g_cluster
> and cut=0.35 in g_clustsize) are doubted to me.

Here's what I believe you've not quite grasped: g_cluster clusters
*frames* in a trajectory, generating groups of structures; g_clustsize
clusters atoms/molecules *within each frame*. That said, the low default
cutoff for g_cluster makes it less likely that you will end up with all
frames in the same cluster, and the higher default cut-off for
g_clustsize is the typical hydrogen bond length and is useful for
finding water clusters, e.g. droplets in vacuo.

> These two questions may be reformulated to single one:
>
> If I would apply these two codes (using single linkage with default
> values) to the same system how different would be the cluster partitions?

One would be clusters containing frames, the other clusters containing
atoms/molecules. They are used for completely different things.

/Erik