[gmx-users] How does pdb2gmx assign protonation in default condition?

Liu Ji zjuliuji at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 03:18:38 CEST 2009

Hi Justin,

It seems that pdb2gmx determines the hydrogen position based on the
start structure. In this case, hydrogens are added for an optimal
hydrogen bond network. However, I am still wondering whether this for
one-conformation optimized hydrogen position will be inappropriate for
the rest of protein conformations.

Actually, I noticed a questionable hydrogen assignment in the
catalytic His residue of the enzyme, and yes, I can correct this if
related references are available. But for others, I'm not sure they
could be in correct state and how largely the hydrogen position will
affect the structure dynamics. Maybe I should compare the MD
trajectories from two different assignments and figure out this
problem. Anyway, thank  for your precious help.

Best wishes

Liu Ji
Institute of Bioengineering
Zhejiang University, China