[gmx-users] questions on acceleration

Jennifer Williams Jennifer.Williams at ed.ac.uk
Fri Jul 17 19:08:47 CEST 2009

Hello,

I have 3 short questions regarding adding an acceleration.

1. I want to apply a force in the z direction to some of my molecules
to mimic a chemical potential gradient.
I read an old gmx_users post where someone wanted to add an external
force to their molecules and the advice given was to add a piece of
code after the function efield in the code in src/mdlib/sim_util.c .
That is, to make a function similar to efield which would do Fsum =
Fsum + Fext

Is there any reason for doing this rather than using the accelerate
option in the .mdp file?

2.   If I do use the accelerate option in the .mdp file, I need to
convert the acceleration applied into a force. Just to check?. I
assume that if I use F=ma, where F and a are the force and
acceleration applied to a molecule, then m should be the mass of that
molecule? I.e for a CO2 molecule, m will be 44 a.m.u?

3.  If I use the accelerate option under NEMD, does it still make
sense to remove the C.O.M?

Thanks

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.