回复:Re: [gmx-users] Insert a certain number of water molecules into ananotube

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Jul 20 07:00:56 CEST 2009

toby10222224 at sina.com wrote:
> Hi
>

>   The first option(genbox -cp -cs spc216.gro -maxsol 328) is not
> suitable for my system, because according to Gromacs, the tube is not
> large enough for 328 water molecules. This option can only insert 257
> molecules into the tube. The tube is a (8,8) carbon nanotube with its
> radius 1.08 nm and length 24.6 nm.
>

>   When I take the second option(genbox -cp -ci water.gro -nmol 328), it
> occupies huge memory which causes an following error.

Well, if the first option failed, consider whether or not there actually is
sufficient room to place that many water molecules.  If you want to keep trying,
you could add a fraction of the total amount each time, sequentially using -ci
-nmol, until all 328 are placed, but again I'm skeptical if that can be done.

-Justin

> Program genbox, VERSION 4.0.5
> Source code file: smalloc.c, line: 179
>
> Fatal error:
> Not enough memory. Failed to realloc 115408 bytes for nlist->jjnr,
> nlist->jjnr=0xbff58158
> (called from file ns.c, line 499)
>
> "Rub It Right Accross Your Eyes" (F. Zappa)
> : Cannot allocate memory
>
>   Besides using larger memory computers, are there any other methods to
> do this in Gromacs, such as decreasing  the distance between water
> molecules?

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar