[gmx-users] PDB and GRO files

Jamie Seyed jamie.seyed at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 23:50:02 CEST 2009

Hi Justin,

On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu> wrote:

> Jamie Seyed wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> Thanks for your comments. But I do not know how to get (or make) the pdb
>> file if it is not made (let say for a new system). Are you using special
>> software to do that to make a pdb or gro file, before starting the
>> simulation?
>>

> That's going to depend entirely upon what that system is.  Building a
> protein or peptide is not so trivial.  Building a small molecule is fairly
> straightforward using programs like PRODRG (online) or xLeap (part of
> AmberTools).
>
> That said, if your goal is to simulate some arbitrary small molecules, the
> previous advice of using pdb2gmx will not apply.  You will have to build the
> topologies yourself.

Is the result of using these programs a pdb file or gro...... would you
please explain a little bit?
The systems that I want to simulate are fullerene and CNT. But before that I
will simulate a box of water, spce. In this case is it ok to use
spc216.pdb (??) or I should use the programs you mentioned?
Sorry for these simple questions......

> Another thing: It is not possible for me to open some web-pages that users
>> are referring to (some of them are crucial to get the answer)!! Did you face
>> with the same problem or there is new web-address for them??
>>

> If you cite some examples, maybe someone can point you in the right
> direction. The Gromacs webpage is currently migrating to a new site; old
> webpages can be accessed by appending "old" to the URL, i.e.
> http://oldwww.gromacs.org is the old home page.

For example I checked http://www.gromacs.org/WIKI-import/PRODRG as you
mentioned, but I can not open links on the page. All of them (check force
field for example) can not open with like this message "Site settings could
not be loaded"...
Is it the page I should use to get a pdb file for my system?? I really
appreciate if you let me know the exact web-address to use PRODRG or xLeap
(?).

Thanks a lot,
Jamie