[gmx-users] Re: reliability of NOTES

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 22 00:44:53 CEST 2009

Payman Pirzadeh wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to prepare the input files for an MD run. After running grompp,
> I received the following note:
>
> NOTE 1 [file npt.mdp, line unknown]:
>   The Berendsen thermostat does not generate the correct kinetic energy
>   distribution. You might want to consider using the V-rescale thermostat.
>
> How reliable this note is? And how can I implement V-rescale thermostat in y
> input file (I found nothing in the manual).

Very reliable - the statistical ensemble from the Berendsen thermostat does not
correspond to any known ensemble.  This has been well-documented in the
literature for years.

T-coupling choices are listed in the manual:

http://manual.gromacs.org/current/online/mdp_opt.html#tc

Note that V-rescale is one of them :)

> Also, when I changed the thermostat to nose-hoover, it said that it can not
> be used with Berendsen barostat. Why?

I can't recall having read anything about this in particular, but it's probably
somewhere in the literature as well.  Use the Parrinello-Rahman barostat instead.

-Justin

> Payman

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate