[gmx-users] trr and xtc

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Jul 22 19:13:48 CEST 2009

Jamie Seyed wrote:
> Thank you Justin,
>
> But how I can prevent from that (filesystem blip) to happen. Also May I

I know nothing about your filesystem, but sometimes these things happen
randomly.  Try re-running with nstxout at some value other than zero and see if
you get a non-empty .trr file.

> change Pcoupl= Parrinello-rahman instead of berendsen (has it any
> effect?? since I have changed Tcoupl=v-rescale instead of berendsen)?

Haphazardly changing algorithms for T- and P-coupling without knowing why is a
recipe for disaster.  Read the literature about each methodology, and choose the
one that's appropriate.

The "problem" regarding box dimensions you pointed out before is related to the
fact that you are using isotropic pressure coupling, wherein the box dimensions
scale uniformly.  That will be the case regardless of which algorithm you use.
If the box dimensions change, that's just reality :)

If for some reason you want to fix the box dimensions, use Pcoupl = no.

> By the way there was a warning after doing grompp, it said "unknown or
> double left-hand 'bd-temp' in parameter file"
> In file.mdp it is
> bd-temp=300
> What about this warning related to the problem.......??

The .mdp file was generated using an old version of Gromacs.  Refer to the
manual for changes, and delete that line from the .mdp file.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080