[gmx-users] How to Run Energy Minimisation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Jul 30 02:15:54 CEST 2009

Nancy wrote:
> Hello,
>
> More specifically, I am unsure as to the procedure of inflating and
> minimizing a bilayer using "InflateGRO".  In the tutorial at:
>
> http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/membrane_protein/index.html
>
> I followed it successfully up to the inflation step, but I do not know
> specifically what parameters to run the energy minimisation.  Please advise.

Most general EM .mdp files are suitable; a simple one is linked in Step 1 on the
page you quote above, "Orient the protein and membrane;" modifications that
should be made to it are described in Step 2, "Pack the lipids around the protein."

The caveat to my membrane protein tutorial was that the user should already be
used to normal input/output routines with Gromacs.  A simpler tutorial to
familiarize you with Gromacs procedures can be found at:

http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/lysozyme/index.html

It might be useful if you are unfamiliar with simulation protocols with Gromacs,
since it is conceptually easier and more detailed in the description of each
step. If the minimized bilayer is not showing up as inflated, then you probably
invoked InflateGRO incorrectly (hence why I asked for the command lines you
invoked).  Usage is described in the text of the inflategro.pl script, and I
describe typical scaling factors that should be used for the procedure in the
tutorial.

-Justin

> Thank you.
>
> Nancy
>

> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Nancy wrote:
>
>         Hello,
>
>         I am trying to run energy minimisation on a lipid bilayer
>         (downloaded from:
>         http://moose.bio.ucalgary.ca/files/dppc128.pdb).  I inflated the
>         bilayer using "InflateGRO" however, when I try to run the
>         minimisation, it seems to display the un-inflated bilayer.
>          Please advise.
>

>     Without seeing the command lines that you're issuing, we can only
>     assume you are doing something wrong.
>
>     -Justin
>
>         Thank you.
>
>         Nancy

>         before posting!
>         Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
>         www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org
>         <mailto:gmx-users-request at gromacs.org>.
>         Can't post? Read http://www.gromacs.org/mailing_lists/users.php
>

>     --