[gmx-users] Pulling a CG protein

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 30 11:40:41 CEST 2009

Marc Baaden wrote:
> Hi Xavier (and Johnny),
>
> I quite agree with what Xavier says. Still I would like to point out
> that we have used CG models to pull on them and at least qualitatively
> they behave quite reasonably, although these models have never been
> parameterized or systematically tested with this kind of application in
> mind.

In general models that have been parameterized for one specific
observable may not reproduce other observables *unless* the observables
used for parameterization have a clear physical basis *and* the energy
function captures the correct physics. Most biomolecular force fields
(including Martini as far as I know) have been parameterized to
reproduce density and energy of condensed phase (liquids), and hence
this kind of data is usually reproduced quite well. However mixtures of
components (e.g. two liquids) are usually not reproduced as well.

By doing the kind of pulling simulations, preferably both atomistic and
with CG models, one can try to verify whether the CG models can actually
reproduce force curves to a comparable accuracy as all atom models. This
kind of work should be done *systematically* before any applications.

What does this boil down to? If you want to apply MD tools to get an
accurate force curve *now*, use all atom models. If you want to play
with and test CG models, then do a large systematic test (many systems).
If the CG models perform reasonably, you have cleared everyone's
conscience and will get a lot of citations. If they don't then you
should try to understand why not. Are there fundamental flaws in the
model? If so, can they be fixed?

Have fun.