[gmx-users] Pulling a CG protein

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Jul 30 12:10:04 CEST 2009

XAvier Periole wrote:

> On Jul 30, 2009, at 11:40 AM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>
>> Marc Baaden wrote:
>>> Hi Xavier (and Johnny),
>>> I quite agree with what Xavier says. Still I would like to point out
>>> that we have used CG models to pull on them and at least qualitatively
>>> they behave quite reasonably, although these models have never been
>>> parameterized or systematically tested with this kind of application in
>>> mind.
>> In general models that have been parameterized for one specific
>> observable may not reproduce other observables *unless* the
>> observables used for parameterization have a clear physical basis
>> *and* the energy function captures the correct physics. Most
>> biomolecular force fields (including Martini as far as I know) have
>> been parameterized to reproduce density and energy of condensed phase
>> (liquids), and hence this kind of data is usually reproduced quite
>> well. However mixtures of components (e.g. two liquids) are usually
>> not reproduced as well.
>>
>> By doing the kind of pulling simulations, preferably both atomistic
>> and with CG models, one can try to verify whether the CG models can
>> actually reproduce force curves to a comparable accuracy as all atom
>> models. This kind of work should be done *systematically* before any
>> applications.
>>
>> What does this boil down to? If you want to apply MD tools to get an
>> accurate force curve *now*, use all atom models. If you want to play
>> with and test CG models, then do a large systematic test (many
>> systems). If the CG models perform reasonably, you have cleared
>> everyone's conscience and will get a lot of citations. If they don't
>> then you should try to understand why not. Are there fundamental flaws
>> in the model? If so, can they be fixed?
> This is of course the idea, but then comes the problem of believing that
> atomistic simulations
> are actually giving the right answer!

Of course, on the other hand CG models were developed to a large extent
by comparison with A models, so if these are wrong, CG models are
hopeless...

In addition, especially for this kind of applications, does the
experimental data measure the same thing that we try to calculate?

Questions, questions.