[gmx-users] Cannot obtain the expected pressure using the Parrinello-Rahman coupling in a gas-liquid system

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Mar 1 11:27:19 CET 2009

GuoGuangjun wrote:
> Hi,
> After I recheck the box, it is indeed the case described in bugzilla
> 165. The length of box increases in the Z-direction and decreases in the
> X/Y-direction with time. When I prolong the run, it exits abnormally at
> the time when the Box-X/Y reduces to a value less than 2*rvdw. When I
> fix the Box-Z by setting the compressibility as zero, the semiisotropic
> with P-R barostat produces the inaccurate pressure again. Now, I have to
> use the Berendsen barostat for my methane-water interface system.
> Guang-Jun

OK, good that you checked.

As said we are not sure what is happening with anisotropic or
semi-isotropic pressure scaling. It could be a bug, or a fundamental
error in the algorithm. It would be nice if someone could reproduce this
in another MD program (to see whether it is a bug) or check the
equations of the pressure coupling. Maybe it is due to artificial
breaking up of the Pressure in components.

Note that there also is surface tension coupling (i.e. coupling to (Px +
Py - 2 PZ)/(lZ)). No idea whether that should be better than
semiisotropic, but at least this is a physical quantity.