[gmx-users] Problem configuring openMPI

Nicolas nsapay at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 3 19:58:02 CET 2009

Manik Mayur a écrit :

> On Tue, Mar 3, 2009 at 11:47 PM, Nicolas <nsapay at ucalgary.ca
> <mailto:nsapay at ucalgary.ca>> wrote:
>
>     Manik Mayur a écrit :
>
>         Hi,
>
>         If I have 2 mpi environments, namely LAM and openMPI, and I
>         want gromacs to use openMPI of the two, what extra option
>         should I pass during the ./configure step? In my case openMPI
>         is installed locally(in my /home folder).
>
>     Sorry, I've misunderstood your message. Anyway, I would first
>     check twice the paths to the binaries in my script. Then, I would
>     check my environment variables, especially PATH, LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>     and LD_RUN_PATH. You might need to modify them to make sure any
>     Lam-related stuff is loaded by default in your environment.
>

> ok, is there any specific option or environment variable through which
> I can make gromacs aware of openMPI and not LAM while installation? If
> I carry on the default --enable-mpi thing, upon executing the following:
Just a silly question: Did you recompile Gromacs with openMPI? If not,
you should with the correct CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and MPICC. Typically, you
should have something like:

    ./configure\
    	--prefix /home/local/gromacs\
    	--enable-mpi\
    	--program-suffix="_mpi"\
    	--without-x\
    	--disable-nice\
    	MPICC=/path/to/mpicc\
    	CC=/path/to/gcc
    	CPPFLAGS=-I/path/to/fftw/include/\
    	LDFLAGS=-L/path/to/fftw/lib/

mpicc is located in the bin/ directory of openMPI. gcc is the regular
gcc installation (gcc 3). As I said, your issue is probably due to a
path uncorrectly pointing to Lam. So check/modify your environment
variables, especially the paths to loaded libraries.