[gmx-users] about force fields

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 4 18:12:17 CET 2009

Be aware that for n-alkanes longer than ~8 carbons, the standard OPLS
parameters will fail horribly. You will need to modify dihedrals or
1-4 interactions as is mentioned in some of the papers below.

William L. Jorgensen, Jeffry D. Madura, Carol J. Swenson, "Optimized
intermolecular potential functions for liquid hydrocarbons", J. Am.
Chem. Soc., 1984, 106 (22), pp 6638?6646
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja00334a030

George Kaminski and William L. Jorgensen, "Performance of the AMBER94,
MMFF94, and OPLS-AA Force Fields for Modeling Organic Liquids", J.
Phys. Chem., 1996, 100 (46), pp 18010?18013
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp9624257

Yooko Tsuchiya, Hiromi Hasegawa and Tetsushirou Iwatsubo, "Prediction
of the Latent Heat of n-Alkanes Using the Molecular Dynamics Method",
Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 42 (2003) pp. 6508-6511
http://jjap.ipap.jp/link?JJAP/42/6508/

J. R. Elliott Jr.; "Optimized step potential models for n-alkanes and
benzene", Fluid Phase Equilib. 194-197 161-168 (2002).