[gmx-users] running GROMACS-MPI on Rocks cluster- strange results

Diego Enry Gomes diego.enry at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 10:55:24 CET 2009

These results are not strange.
Performance results really depend on the size/setup of your system.
Next time use gmxbench so we can have a better reference.

Are you using gromacs 4.0.4 ? It scales much better than gromacs-3.x.x
versions. Anyway, this very bad scaling is normal over gigabit
ethernet even with cat6 cables and some tricks like using two network
interfaces per node. (also two switches or with two VPNs)

If you can't afford an infiniband interfaces there is a solution. You
can try installing the GAMMA drivers for your ethernet interface and
MPI/GAMMA as MPI. However I'm not quite sure if GAMMA is stable. Also
you will need two network interfaces, one of them must be Intel.

http://www.disi.unige.it/project/gamma/mpigamma/index.html