[gmx-users] pdb2gmx -vsite h hangs

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 10 12:18:05 CET 2009

Ilya Chorny wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Thanks for pointing me to section 6.5. I am running ~500K atoms because
> I want to test the scaling as well.

What I mean was, when reporting problems to the list, make the test case small
so you eliminate variables like available system memory.  Furthermore, it is
unnecessary to process a pure water system with pdb2gmx; just create a topology
for one water molecule and fix the topol.top to correspond to however many
molecules there are.

> So I'm confused. How can I use pdb2gmx -vsite h this to run a protein
> and water simulation with a 4fs timestep as described in  the Gromacs
> 4.0 paper if -vsite does not apply to OH/NH hydrogens. They don't
> describe using heavyh in the paper and there are earlier posts that
> teach away from using heavyh.

The timestep derives primarily from the use of constraints, I believe.  The
LINCS algorithm is stable up to 5 fs, IIRC.  Do some tests with 2, 4, and 5 fs
to determine if you are satisfied with energy conservation.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080