[gmx-users] Broken trr-file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Mar 11 13:37:48 CET 2009

Hansjoerg Jerabek wrote:
> Dear Mark!
>
> At first: thanks for your reply.
>
> The log file has been witten correctly, and gmxcheck gives me the
> following warning:
>
>    Checking file ketamine.t2.trr
>    trn version: GMX_trn_file (double precision)
>    Reading frame       0 time 43500.000     # Atoms  25400
>    Reading frame       4 time 43520.000   Warning at frame 4:
> coordinates for atom 21839 are large (3.04738e+35)
>    Warning at frame 4: coordinates for atom 21839 are large (2.16053e+185)
>
>    -------------------------------------------------------
>    Program gmxcheck_d, VERSION 4.0.3
>    Source code file: trnio.c, line: 66
>
>    File input/output error:
>    Can not determine precision of trn file
>    -------------------------------------------------------
>
> Is it somehow possible to manually remove the corrupt frame from the
> binary trr-file?
> I'm asking this because I can't afford to re-run the simulation, since
> it would take about 3 weeks.

trjconv	-b 0 -e 3

You will have to sacrifice everything after frame 3 then (since frame 4 is
corrupted).  Judging by the timeframe of the simulation, that is probably a
substantial amount of data.  Perhaps you can restart from a checkpoint file,
depending on how often those were written, to collect the rest of your data.

-Justin

> Best regards
> Hansjoerg Jerabek
>

> Mark Abraham wrote:
>> Hansjoerg Jerabek wrote:
>>> Dear colleagues!
>>>
>>> I faced a problem while trying to modify a trr-file using trjconv_d:
>>>
>>>     trjconv_d -f ketamine.t2.trr -s ketamine.2.tpr -n bilayer.ndx -o
>>> ketamine.2.trr -b 43550
>>>
>>> In my case the first frame of the trr-file starts at 43500ps (time
>>> step: 5ps).
>>> I get the following ouput:
>>>
>>>    Will write trr: Trajectory in portable xdr format
>>>    Reading file ketamine.2.tpr, VERSION 4.0.3 (double precision)
>>>    Reading file ketamine.2.tpr, VERSION 4.0.3 (double precision)
>>>    Select group for output
>>>    Group     0 (      System) has 25400 elements
>>>    Group     1 (        POPC) has 10400 elements
>>>    Group     2 (         SOL) has 15000 elements
>>>    Select a group: 0
>>>    Selected 0: 'System'
>>>    trn version: GMX_trn_file (double precision)
>>>    *Skipping frame      4 time 43520.000 *
>>>    Program trjconv_d, VERSION 4.0.3
>>>    Source code file: trnio.c, line: 66
>>>
>>>    *File input/output error:
>>>    Can not determine precision of trn file*
>>>    -------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>>> It seems that the 4th frame at 43520ps is broken, but I somehow can't
>>> get rid of it.
>>
>> Assuming your file system isn't full or some such, the most likely
>> problem is that the file was garbled when it was written. Check the
>> log file for correct completion, and see what gmxcheck and/or gmxdump
>> have to say about the .trr file. If the file's not been written
>> correctly, there's nothing to do but re-run.
>>
>> Mark
>> posting!

Justin A. Lemkul
Graduate Research Assistant